Skip Navigation Link Alternate Public Defender Home Alternate Public Defender Home

How do I file for an 1203.4 Dismissal (Expungement)?

With a few exceptions, if you have been convicted of a Misdemeanor or a Felony in the past, and were sentenced to either formal or informal (summary) probation and now you have successfully completed all the terms and conditions of your probation (paid all fines, etc.), you qualify to petition the court for a dismissal of your case. It is recommended you follow these steps:

1. Go to the court clerk’s office in the courthouse where your case was originally heard. Request a DOCKET SHEET, a PETITION FOR DISMISSAL (form CR-180), and an ORDER OF DISMISSAL (form CR 181). You can download the CR-180, CR-181 forms using the links below.  To file these two forms, the court clerk will collect a fee of $120. If you can’t afford to pay the fee or if it’s a financial hardship for you, you should also ask for and complete a “FEE WAIVER”, also available for download below.  All  downloads require Adobe Reader.

2. Fill out the three forms with all of the information you already know (name, address, phone, date of birth, case number etc.) Only you can fill out and sign the fee waiver. If you can’t understand the DOCKET SHEET and do not know how to fill out items 1 to 4, contact the Alternate Public Defender or Public Defender’s Office in the courthouse where you were convicted and ask for an assistance.  We will be happy to help.

Download Order of  Dismissal Form CR-181
county logo
1203.4 Dismissal - Expungements How To

apd logo

County of Los Angeles Alternate Public Defender
To Enrich Lives Through Effective and Caring Service.
Home Button
About Us Button
Employment Button
FAQ's Button
Locations Button
Useful Links Button
About Us
Employment Opportunities
Office Locations
Useful Links
Frequently Asked Questions
Site Map
Download Petition for Dismissal Form CR-180
Download Adobe Reader
Download Fee Waiver
Download Fee Waiver Instructions